There's Magic Out There: Valentines Day DIY Hearts (Recycled Toilet paper roll crafts) Wreath

January 08, 2013

Valentines Day DIY Hearts (Recycled Toilet paper roll crafts) Wreath

Just yesterday we finished picking up all the Christmas decorations and now there is about a month left until Valentines day! Yep, hard to believe it but Valentines Day is almost here and its a perfect reason to get the house out of the ordinary(boring right now that there's no decorations) to being in the Valentines Lovey dovey mood.

I wanted to make something with materials found at home so I used toilet paper rolls to create this special hanging decor.

Materials:
  • Toilet paper rolls (5 to be on the safe size)
  • paint and paintbrush
  • scissors
  • colorful paper or plain white paper to color on
  • glue stick
  • glue gun with glue
  • newspaper to layout to cover your work area while painting
Directions:

Start by painting your toilet paper rolls inside and out so that the color you choose will be on evenly because if you do this after it is too hard to get in the creases (trust me) Put them off to your side to air dry. I drew on the newspaper my circle size I wanted so I could use it to estimate how many toilet paper rolls I would need to cut and to base my heart size off of so that when I did add the hearts it would be sized appropriately.
While the paint dried I used some scrap paper to freehand hearts in different sizes. I then cut out those hearts and traced the shape onto scrapbooking paper I had (you could also use regular white paper and color the hearts in with markers/crayons and put cute words), cut and glued them onto cardboard to make it more sturdy. Then cut those out to use
When the paint was dry I cut the rolls into 5 pieces each as even as I could. I then laid them out to how my circle would fit. I then began gluing the toilet paper roll pieces end to end with my hot glue gun carefully holding them into place to bend them into the circular shape
After I had made my circle I let it rest to dry so as to not add weight to it too quickly. I then hot glued on my hearts and let it get sturdy. I hanged it up on my wall with simple thumb tacks in 3 locations to balance the weight.
I'm happy with the final product. I used things I had already available at home and I'm happy to use something as ordinary as a empty toilet paper roll and give it new life. Its always good to re-purpose things so I keep boxes and containers because at the end of the day its free crafting supplies and who doesn't love free?

Hope this got you in the Valentines mood! To check out another fun DIY Valentines craft head over to Mean baby to check out a DIY Valentines Day Banner ! This is a Blog circle so if you follow along blog to blog you will see links to other blogger fun DIY Valentines crafts.

Don't forget to check out My Valentines Day Pinterest board for more Inspiration! 

Check out my other Valentines Day Heart Decor 
Happy Crafting!  
Follow on Bloglovin

81 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thankyou and Thanks for Thinking up the blog hop!

      Delete
  2. How cute is this?!? I love the vibrant colours. Thanks for visiting my blog and for participating in the Raising Imperfection Blog Hop

    Catriona
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute idea that's SO do-able!
    Found you through Bloggy Moms FMFY and am now following.
    Thx for sharing,
    nancy-of the crazy 9
    http://nancyvnjourney.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for stopping by, I'm following you back. Love the wreath! Can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is pretty darn cute! I could even do this at school with my students!!!!

    Following back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is super cute! can't believe valentine's day is just around the corner!

    newest follower from almost friday blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm your newest follow via GFC and Twitter. Would love a follow back.

    http://www.happykidsinc.blogspot.com

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much! I will head on over there and check you out!

      Delete
  8. Too cute...following you from the Almost Friday blog-hop. Have a blessed week!

    Michell @Prowess and Pearls
    http://www.prowessandpearls.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute idea!

    Sabrina
    http://thelittleowlshop.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Love the Valentine inspiration! I saw you linked up at My Turn (for us).
    Beth @ The First Year Blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very cute girl!

    Following from the Friday Follow Hop!! Happy weekend!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ha, that's cute. i wish i could be good in anything crafty.
    following from the follow friday

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute - new follower from the hop. Come visit any time!

    ReplyDelete
  14. so cute! i'm your newest follower from weekend wanderings. i'm from south padre island and my brother lives in san antonio!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! Thanks for linking up with us on Aloha Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a cute idea. Newest follower here from MTMmixer.
    http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a creative way to decorate for the season and recycle! I love it! I am always looking for something new. I am desperately not very artistic, but I'm learning. Thanks for sharing. I'm dropping by from Our Everyday Harvest's Harvest of Friends blog hop. I hop you can drop by and say hello too! http://heresmytakeonit.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou so much! everyone has an artistic side.... Will go check you out right now

      Delete
  18. Really cute, and so ahead of the game! Following back from Thursday hop. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hiya, just found your blog through the blog hop- very glad I did. The craft looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Alvina,
    This is so cute! I've seen a few crafts made with the toilet paper holders or paper towel holders but this is the cutest! Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share next week! Have a wonderful weekend.
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can't wait to do this with my kids, what a cute craft! I found you on That Friday Blog Hop and am your newest follower. Check out my blog sometime and feel free to follow back if you'd like!
    The Real McCoy(s)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is so amazing!! Will try it. Following you from Fun Friday Blog Hop so come and say hi!
    www.studioemmakaufmann.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a cute craft! Thanks for sharing. Just found your cute blog through the blog hop. I'm a new follower. Hope you'll stop by sometime!

    RebeccawithanR

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have everything available except the glue gun, I might be making a trip to the store this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. really cute Alvina!

    Thanks for linking up with Fun Friday Blog Hop! hope you had fun!

    huggies***
    rea

    ReplyDelete
  26. Alvina,

    Thanks for finding me via Blog Hop. I'm returning the favor and I look forward to reading your blog. Love this Valentine's craft!

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is so cute! What a fun craft that's not too hard.
    New follower from That Friday Blog Hop!
    ~Kim
    http://mylifeaccordingtopinterest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. cute little project! found you thru the blog hop!

    www.indigobean.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thankyou so much! Im already following you and will check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  30. They're so sweet, Alvina! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great idea, thanks for sharing! I will have to give this one a try.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  32. How cool! Thanks for sharing. Stopping by from More than MOmmies. I'm your latest follower. Hope you can stop by & do the same. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Following from the aloha Friday blog hop. http://kyoticrafts.blogspot.com/2013/01/top-hats-and-tuxes-inspiration.html. cute craft!

    ReplyDelete
  34. How pretty! Thanks so much for sharing your Vday craft with us at the Mommy-Brain Mixer.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love this! Too cute! I love toilet paper roll crafts because you're not having to spend any extra money on supplies. Everyone already uses toilet paper!

    Chloe
    http://rainbowsandhoneysuckle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  36. Amazing ...this is great used a toilet paper roll and create some pretty designs like valentine day, valentines day parties delhi.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Totally cute! An inexpensive craft. I'm all for that. Found you through Bloggy Moms. Following you. Stop by http://makeitorfixit.com when you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting Theres Magic Out There. I would love to hear your thoughts. I will get back to you as soon as possible. It makes my day to see your comments and know someones reading my words. Thanks for visiting!