I wanted to make something special for our Thanksgiving table. So I decided to make my own Thanksgiving table topper. You can make one with your munchkin using just a couple things. Here's how we made ours:
- Glue or glue stick (having both works best)
- construction paper colored sheets (or even white paper and have your kiddo color it in)
- toilet paper roll
- eyes or you can just draw them on
- You start off with a plain brown sheet and trace circles in 2 different sizes. One smaller than the other.
- You cut them out and glue the smaller circle slightly over the other to create the body and head.
- Cut out free handed feathers in different colors of your choosing (you could trace these and have your kiddo cut them out)
- You then glue the feathers onto the back of the body and head just slightly so that they are peaking out.
- Use the trimmings from the paper you used to cut out the feathers to cut small straight strips of paper to make the legs then more trimmings for feet and eyes (details). That way you waste as little paper trimmings as possible. I estimated the leg size depending on how I wanted my turkey to stand on the toilet paper roll, because you could make a huge one and put it on a paper towel roll.
- Glue the details onto the turkey
- Then glue the back of the turkey onto the toilet paper roll and wait for it to dry
- Have a Beautiful and Loving Thanksgiving meal with your family! (Your Turkey table topper on your table)
Here are some other ideas on what to do with your turkey (before you glue him onto the tp roll)
- Write on each feather something you are grateful for (you can ask your kids and they can write it or you can write it for the little ones)
- glue the turkey on to a sheet of paper and frame it with your childs name and age/year.
- Use it as a greeting card cover or even inside so you can send it to a family member.
We had fun making turkeys and munchkin loved playing with googly eyes. We also made Thanksgiving Turkey handprints that you can make. This will be on our table on Thanksgiving as we have a yummy meal with family.