There's Magic Out There: Banned Books Week

October 02, 2012

Banned Books Week

This week is Banned Books Week (September 30- October 6). I actually didn't know this until lately and wondered why they would have a week dedicated to this and so I looked at a bunch of articles and the overall feel I got was that it was about freedom, Celebrating the freedom to read. It was spreading awareness about it and I looked at lists of books that throughout the years have been banned and could not imagine why. These were books that were dear to my heart and here they were on lists of books that people had burnt and not allowed to be read at schools and such, it made me sad. I'm glad that I have had a chance to read these books.

 I wanted to share with you some of the books I have read that were on the List:
  • Scary Stories to tell in the dark By Alvin Schwartz
  • Of Mice and Men By John Steinbeck
  • To Kill A Mockingbird By Harper Lee
  • Harry Potter series By JK Rowling
  • The Great Gatsby By F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • The Grapes of Wrath By John Steinbeck
  • The Lord of The Flies By William Golding
  • Brave New World By Aldous Huxley
  • A Farewell to Arms By Ernest Hemingway
I am thinking of actually going through these banned lists and reading books that i haven't read from the lists to see what makes them special. What do you think? Have you ever been denied access to a book you wanted to read? What books have you read that were banned too?

Go to your local library and check out the banned books displays and why they were banned. Its pretty interesting to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting Theres Magic Out There. I would love to hear your thoughts. I will get back to you as soon as possible. It makes my day to see your comments and know someones reading my words. Thanks for visiting!